Featured Link

Featured Link: World Book Trade (e-books, awards, videos)

Friday, January 30, 2004

The Friday Brain-teaser from xrefer: Can you identify the people who first spoke or wrote these well-known utterances? Answers here:

1. Which film actress famously said "I want to be alone"?
2. Who wrote "Workers of the world, unite" and "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs"?
3. Who allegedly said "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it by not dying"?
4. Which famous nurse (1820-1910) wrote: "It may seem a strange principle to enunciate as the very first requirement in a Hospital that it should do the sick no harm"?
5. In 1845, who wrote the line "Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore'" which was later inscribed on his gravestone?
6. Who wrote "Every time a child says 'I don't believe in fairies' there is a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead"?
7. Which poet wrote in 1917 "I grow old...I grow old...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"?
8. Which American wrote in 1735 "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead"?
9. Who described the poet Byron as "Mad, bad, and dangerous to know"?
10. Which character in a 19th-century novel declared "I think I could be a good woman if I had five thousand a year"?

No comments: